A few months ago, I was fortunate to be watching, listening, and taking notes from a live stream webinar where the topic of “momentum” as applied to one’s mental fitness, was the cornerstone of the speaker’s talk. He surely hit a grand slam with his research findings! I do have to agree with him; he said that he didnt know of much discussion in leadership/self-help/personal growth/life coaching circles on this topic, and I haven’t seen anything to contradict his take. So, with that in mind, and in the interests of paying great information forward in the blogosphere, here’s what I took away from the webinar on my trusty iPad 3 🙂
Feel free to comment & share, and regardless, thank you for taking some time to visit my blog!
Physical momentum is preceded by your psychology. You must get a positive current in the pool ( i.e., with your finances, job/career, thoughts/thinking, family )
Mass & motion = two big factors. How many are moving forward in life?
Jim Taylor – Momentum Chain – 5 steps
1. Precipating or game changing event
2. This game changing event causes a change in attitude for those involved –> increase hope, energy, & confidence
3. The change in attitude = leads to change in behavior
4. The subsequent change in behavior will lead to a change in performance ( an offensive / thriving mindset takes hold. )
5. Lastly, the change in performance drives a change in Results
Even a person who is, in all respects, a fish floating downstream (no purpose, lack of vision, just looking to the next day or next weekend) – can & does come upon a game changing event once in a while; i.e., an unexpected shift in his/her financial outlook, a promotion, a chance to open a new business. Therefore, he/she must create & capitalize on it.
Two Key / Different Ways :
1. Be the Example ( Leaders lead from the front )
– with purpose , attitude , strong adversity quotient –
2. Law of Buy-In ( getting the big ‘mo )
– get others bought in to what we’re doing –
b. Encouragement – exhorting others
c. Edification – be a ‘good finder’ in those whom you encounter
What’s your purpose? Living just for the upcoming weekend? What’s your goal(s) in life?
What do you want? What’s the price? PAY it. ( Resolution 5 )
Developing the right attitude ( Resolution 3 )
– Must constantly crank down the volume on the negative voice(s)
– Are there bugs on the windshield or are you looking in rearview mirror , be sure to you are cleaning your ‘glass’
– Have to re-frame & get a different perspective all the time.
3 Choices : Give up, give in, or give it all you got.
Action – Starts w/ Courage : always a choice there. What holds us back ? Could be the …
Fear of Man
Fear of Loss ( hunker down.; chase freedom, will get security )
Fear of Failure ( only way we learn! )
In sum, don’t be a captive of your fear, say no excuses, & have no regrets. 🙂
Making it a romantic battle beats the alternative = going thru the motions / getting into a rut !
Deepest appreciation to well regarded business owner/entrepreneur and devoted family man, Kirk Birtles, for taking the time to put together such an inspired, educational, and informative talk! The content is his from his research & is mixed in with my note taking / added verbiage; it is my privilege and desire to share it here in the blogosphere – if we, combined, can help touch even a single life and make it better, the mission is accomplished.